Potatoes are in season as is the spring lamb. Combine the two in this typically Andalucian dish.
PREP TIME: 20 Minutes
COOK TIME: 4 - 5 hours
SERVINGS: 4 People
4 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
2 tablespoons kosher salt plus more
4 fresh bay leaves, divided
2 kgs Spanish white potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/4" slices, divided
7 tablespoons olive oil, divided
Freshly ground black pepper
1 x 1 1/2- to 2 kg bone-in leg of lamb
1 kg tomatoes, cut into 1/4" slices
2 medium onions, cut into 1/2" slices
2 cups dry white wine
1. Preheat oven to 175°C. Combine garlic, thyme, and 2 tablespoons salt in a small bowl. Using your fingertips, rub mixture until it resembles wet sand (larger pieces of garlic will remain); set aside. Crush bay leaves.
2. Combine half of potatoes with 1 tablespoon oil and 1 crushed bay leaf in a large roasting pan; season with salt and pepper and toss to coat.
3. Spread out potatoes in a single layer.
4. Place lamb on top of potatoes and rub with garlic mixture. Layer tomatoes, onions, remaining 3 crushed bay leaves, and remaining potatoes around and up sides of lamb, seasoning with salt and pepper and drizzling with remaining 6 tablespoons oil as you go (lamb will be nearly covered).
5. Add wine to pan; cover tightly with foil.
6. Roast until lamb is very tender, 3-4 hours.
7. Remove foil and increase oven temperature to 220°C. Roast, turning lamb halfway through, until lamb is golden, 20-25 minutes longer.
8. Let rest in roasting pan for 15-20 minutes.
DO AHEAD: Lamb can be roasted 2 days ahead. Cover and chill. Reheat before continuing.
9. Pull meat from bones in large chunks; discard bones and fat.
10. Place meat and vegetables on a platter. Skim fat from surface of cooking juices in pan.
11. Spoon some cooking juices over lamb and vegetables and serve remainder alongside.
Please add together
4 + 3 =
Subscribe to our mailing list to receive our Newsletters
Estepona Port Business Centre, 2 y 3, Puerto Paraiso 5,Estepona, Malaga, Spain 29680
Mobile +34 634 344 163 (Nick) or +34 647 379 245 (Julie)
Like us on
Copyright ©2019 Visit Andalucia
Web Design & Content by WeCanDu