Visit-Andalucia logo
Best Travel platform 2021 - 22
Use Keywords to Search our Website for Businesses and Articles
This article has been visited 47,365 times

Step by Step - How to Apply for a TIE card in Spain - for expat Brits resident before January 2021

in Andalucia, Spain
By | Last Updated 20 Jan 2022 | Living In Andalucia

Many British expats are in possession of the green A4 size Certificate of Residence Registration (sometimes wrongly called a Residencia Certificate). Whilst the Spanish authorities maintain that the certificate is still a valid proof of residence in Spain, there have been a few problems reported at border crossings where the green certificate has not been accepted.

Green Certificate of Residence Registration – whether A4 size or credit card sized remain perfectly legal in Spain for British residents. However, there are advantages to carrying the Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero (TIE) biometric card that can be used as photo ID although there is currently no obligation to update from one to the other.

In March 2021, Julie and I decided to bite the bullet and apply for our TIE cards. As with many experiences, once you know how to do it, it is easy though you do have to be patient. This procedure applies to Almeria province although I believe it is the same in the other provinces.

The procedure for applying for or renewing a TIE card if your are living in Spain having obtained a Non Lucrative Visa is slightly different. Click here for Step by Step Renewing a Non-Lucrative Visa

Changing your Paper Based Certificate of Residence Registration form for your TIE card in Spain

Gather together
1 x In date Padron certificate plus a colour photocopy available from the Town Hall where you live
1 x Passport with at least six months left to run
1 x colour photocopy of passport
1 x Green Certificate of Residence
1 x colour photocopy of Green Certificate of Residence
1 x TIE photograph in colour - correct size is 2.6cm wide x 3.2cm high white background (a UK passport size photo is not acceptable)
1 x EX-23 completed
1 x copy of EX-23 in Black and White
2 x Tasa 790-12 certificates duly stamped by the bank

Completing the EX-23 Form

Download the form from here EX-23 Form download
Refer to the example form here Example form
- Complete the details in Section 1 - Datos del Solicitante as shown
- Leave Section 2 blank
- Complete Section 3 only if the details asked for are different to those given in Section 1
- Section 4 tick the box alongside ‘Residencia Con Certificado de Registro de Cuidano de la Union
- Complete the date section and sign, keeping your signature within the box

Completing the the Tasa 790-12

Download the form from here Tasa 790-12 download
Refer to the yellow highlighted sections on the example form here Example form
On the Form 790-12, complete the top part of the form
In the section Autoliquidacion
- Select Principal
Under Tarjetas de identidad de extranjeros (TIE) y certificados de registro de residentes comunitarios
- Click in the round box by Certificado de registro de residente comunitario o Tarjeta de residencia de familiar de un ciudadano de la Unión
In the Declarante Section
- Enter the locality of the bank you will pay at
In the Ingreso section
- Note that 12€ has been automatically filled in (This is the charge in 2021, it will increase each year.)
- Click in the round box by En efectivo
- Enter the Capture code
- Click on Descargar impreso rellanado
- Print the forms as they appear
Take the forms to your bank and pay in cash. The bank will stamp the forms and will keep one and hand two back to you
This tax cannot be paid on-line

Making the Appointment

The appointment is made on line.
Go to Make an Appointment
- Select the Province you live in
- Click Aceptar
- Choose Tramites Cuerpo Nacional de Policia
- Select Policia-EXP TARJETA Asociada al Acuerdo de Retirada Cuidadanos Britanicos y Sus Familiares (Brexit)
(Depending which province you are in you may only have the option of POLICIA-TOMA DE HUELLAS (EXPEDICION DE TARJETA))
- Click Aceptar
- Click Entrar
- Enter your NIE and First Name / Surname
- Click Solicitar Cita
- Select the office you require
- Click Siguiente
- Add your telephone - this must be a mobile you will receive a code that you enter before the transaction is complete
- Add your email and repeat
- Click Siguente
- Select a time and date suitable for you
- Click Siguente
- On the next screen enter the code received to your mobile phone THIS is ESSENTIAL your appointment is not complete unless you complete this step An email will be sent to the address entered confirming your appointment
This email has a code on it that you will need when you go to the appointment at the address shown on the form

Arriving for your appointment

Remember to take your documents as listed above
When you arrive a guard will indicate where to wait
When instructed you enter and go through a security check then enter into a machine your CODE from the appointment details that was sent by email
A ticket is produced giving you a desk number
Wait until you are called
The desk clerk will take the required documents from you, check your photograph and take the finger prints of your index finger (left and right)
The clerk will give you a pre-arranged appointment to collect your card some 6 weeks hence. If this appointment is not suitable there are instructions on the sheet on how to amend the appointment.

Depending on which province you are in you may be given a RESGUARDO DE SOLICITUD O RENOVACION DE TARJETA DE EXTRANJERO which is stamped by the police

Collecting your card

If you were given an appointment slip
Take your:-
- Appointment slip
- Your passport
- Your Green Certificate of Residence Registration
The guard will indicate where to wait and the process once inside the building is the same as above

How to make an appointment to collect your TIE card

If, for whatever reason, you need to make an appointment, such as not being given an appointment slip, or being unable to make the first appointment to collect your card, wait at least 45 days from the date of your appointment then follow this procedure.
- Go to the SEDE Appointment site through the link above
- Select your province - Click Accept
- Choose National Police Force Procedures and second item down, Police - Collection of Foreign Identity Card (TIE). - Click Accept
- Read the terms and conditions carefully - Click Enter
- Enter your NIE number and name - Click Accept.
Then follow the procedure as for the initial appointment.

How to Apply for a TIE card with NO Green Certificate of Residence

For people that were living permanently in Spain before the 31st December 2020 and did not obtain a green certificate of residence there is an extra stage to go through. In effect permission to apply for the TIE card.

- Get an appointment online here
- Select your province
- Select the option "Trámite para la documentación de nacionales de Reino Unido (Brexit)"
- Complete the EX20 application form via this link
Collect together:
- For employed persons: Work contract, Pay slips, "alta" in the Social Security system, empadronamiento
- For self-employed persons: Registration as autonomo, vida laboral document, empadronamiento
- For those that do not work/retired: proof of health insurance or that your state pension covers you in Spain, proof of sufficient funds so as not to be a burden on the social assistance of Spain, empadronamiento at the town hall

If the application meets the requirements, the resolution on the residence document "Carta de resolución" will be issued and notified within a maximum period of three months. Within a month from the notification of the resolution on the right to the TIE residency document, the applicant must personally request its expedition.

Go through the procedure above for ‘Changing your Paper Based Certificate of Residence Registration form for your TIE card in Spain’

How do you know the application for a TIE has been refused?

The most common reason for refusal is a lack of evidence that you were living permanently in Spain prior to the 31st December 2020. This particularly applies to people that never bothered to obtain a green certificate of residency and cannot show a work contract or proof that they were self employed and paying tax and social security.

You will receive a "Carta de resolución" that informs you the application is archived with a non favourable result.

Refusals after the 1st April 2021

If you receive a Carta de resolución after the 1st April 2021 it is possible that you will be required to leave the country within 15 days. The reasoning behind this is that you have already admitted being in Spain before the 31st December 2020 and if you are still here to receive your Carta de resolución you have exceeded your maximum length of stay in Spain of 90 days.

What to do if your application for a TIE card is refused?

If your application for a TIE card is refused, there is an appeal process. At this stage it is advisable to obtain legal advice. You are allowed to remain in the country whilst the appeal is being heard.

Return to Living In Andalucia

We Welcome Your Comments

We'll never share your email with anyone else.

Please add together 10 + 10 =

Approved Comments

Submitted by Angela Conboy on 19 Jan 2022
Hi thank you so much for the very informative guide on getting your TIE. Unfortunately I do not know how to get it for the first time following the granting of a non lucrative visa. I am in Spain now with the correct visa and when I went to the police office for the card I was told that I had missed out step one. Do you know what this is?

Reply by Nick Nutter:
You should first have downloaded Fee Form 790-012 and paid the fee. The article you want is here, the TIE bit is at the bottom,

Submitted by Kerry Batson on 18 Jan 2022
Hi Nick, great site, soooo helpful in a mindfield of beurocracy! My question is about the tax form, Certificado de registro de residente comunitario o Tarjeta de residencia de familiar de un ciudadano de la Unión. is this still correct seeing as the UK is no longer in the union and is outside the grace period? Thanks again for your help, it really is appreciated.

Reply by Nick Nutter:
That's still the box to tick. There was/is no grace period if you have a green Residence Registration. Make sure the amount to pay box at the bottom of the form shows 12 Euros, the amount is different for each TIE.

Submitted by Teresa on 14 Jan 2022
Thank you, this information is very useful. Just one question….for a child’s application, does the parent applying for their TIE complete the last line of section 1 and section 2 of the EX 23 with the parent’s details?

Reply by Nick Nutter:
Good question. I am not sure because I have not applied for a TIE for a minor. It is ambiguous. My inclination would be to leave the two lines blank and be prepared to complete them if necessary when you present the forms. I found the guy handling our application was very helpful.

Submitted by Caren on 12 Jan 2022
I am going to start the process of change from the Green Residency paper (2009) to TIE for the family. My daughter is 16 years old, do I need to get her birth certificate translated and stamped? Or can I do the same process as us adults.

Reply by Nick Nutter:
You should have her birth certificate translated and stamped.

Submitted by denise baxendell on 12 Jan 2022
Firstly thank you for this very good article. We made an appointment as indicated, but were told that we firstly needed to make an appointment to have our fingerprints taken. So in "TRAMITES CUERPO NACIONAL DE POLICIA" you need to add in that you should select "POLICIA-TOMA DE HUELLAS (EXPEDICION DE TARJETA)

Reply by Nick Nutter:
Hi Denise, Thanks for that very helpful comment. When the article was written, in Almeria at least, the fingerprints were taken during the first appointment.

Submitted by John B on 17 Dec 2021
Thanks for this very thorough series of instructions. Unfortunately I have lost my NIE A4 certificate. Apparently it is no longer possible to obtain a new one. Do you know what steps i must take?

Reply by Nick Nutter:
We had a similar incidence reported in September. You need to go to the police station that issued it in the first place and report it lost and obtain a denuncia. Then you need to apply at the same police station for a replacement certificate.

Submitted by Darren Metcalfe on 11 Dec 2021
Hi Nick, thanks for you’re time making this article very helpful. I wonder if you can advise, My wife and I bought a property in 2016 and have until COVID enjoyed extended periods in our house here so more than 90 days at a time. We both have NIE numbers, utilities bills, Spanish bank account and also did Wills at out town hall. Now in the easier times of travel we are back in Spain and trying to navigate The best way to be able to stay for extended periods as before brexit. I understand we need to register Padrón Municible I’m not sure we have done this before we certainly don’t have a green cert to surrender. Am I correct in thinking we need to register on the Padrón, fill in a EX -23 form and apply for a TIE to retain the benefits of unhindered stays here? Thanks in advance! Darren.

Reply by Nick Nutter:
Sorry Darren, You only apply for the TIE card if you are resident in Spain. Then you can stay as long as you like. There is no way to get round the 90 day rule.

Submitted by Craig B on 28 Nov 2021
Followed the process and all ready to visit to attend our appointment tomorrow, confident we have all the information and forms... Thank you for putting this together Nick, a fantastically useful resource that has saved us money!! Well done :)

Reply by Nick Nutter:
Thank you

Submitted by Cat Johnson on 26 Nov 2021
Submitted by Cat Johnson on 23 Nov 2021 Hi, this is so helpful, thank you. We are here on an NLV and have completed all the paperwork we think we need for our TIE appt in Marbella on 1/12, however we were only given one Padron certificate. Should we have one original (and one photocopy) each or will they accept the one original at my husband's appointment and then the same original at my appointment afterwards? Reply by Nick Nutter: Not sure about that one, it would depend on the individual handling your application. You should be able to return to the office that issued your padron and ask for individual certificates. Hi, just an update on this: we returned to the town hall to request a copy and it turns out that we didn't have the Padron certificate after all. We had been issued with a Notification and a Volante, which having waited 10 days to receive, we had assumed was the certificate. After paying a small fee and filling in a further form, we returned the next day for the certificate and now have one Padron certificate each....thank you to Nick, otherwise we would almost certainly have turned up to our appointment with the wrong document!

Reply by Nick Nutter:
I am pleased it was sorted out.

Submitted by Jenni Gebhardt on 25 Nov 2021
Great site! I asked for a new patron but the ayuntamiento says I don't need it as mine is permanent. Other people say 2 years. I have been there 3x now and refused every time.

Reply by Nick Nutter:
I have had a number of comments of the same nature. It depends on where you are. We are in Almeria and our padron is only valid for 6 months.

Submitted by Cat Johnson on 23 Nov 2021
Hi, this is so helpful, thank you. We are here on an NLV and have completed all the paperwork we think we need for our TIE appt in Marbella on 1/12, however we were only given one Padron certificate. Should we have one original (and one photocopy) each or will they accept the one original at my husband's appointment and then the same original at my appointment afterwards?

Reply by Nick Nutter:
Not sure about that one, it would depend on the individual handling your application. You should be able to return to the office that issued your padron and ask for individual certificates.

Submitted by Angela Wheeler on 13 Nov 2021
Hi could you please give me a bit of advice. My husband got his green residencia card with his previous passport, when I fill in his form do I put his original passport number or his new passport number. Thank you for any help in this instance Kind Regards Angie

Reply by Nick Nutter:
Hi Angie, You must use your husband's current passport number.

Submitted by John on 6 Nov 2021
I have all the documents mentioned in the list, however, I have a doubt. Please can someone clarify what 'in date' Padron certificate means? Mine is from December 2019. Do I need to get a new one? and if so how would I do that if I haven't moved address?? Cheers

Reply by Nick Nutter:
Your padron should be dated within the last 6 months. Renewing is simple. Just go to the office that issued it in the first place and ask for a new one. They should produce it there and then.

Submitted by Al White on 15 Oct 2021
Fantastic guide. We followed this format to prepare our paperwork and went down to Extranjeros Office in Almeria this morning. Absolutely flawless procedure and even had a few laughs and jokes with the clerk! With regard to the 790-12 tax payment. We went to CAJAMAR which wasn’t our normal bank and the guy at the counter told us to use the cash point machine. He also said that a bank stamp wasn’t required. So we followed the procedure at the machine which scanned the bar code of the 790 form and put bank notes in the machine. It then gave us the change in coins and printed out two receipts for each form. This is perfectly acceptable to the Extranjeros or National Police Office when submitting your papers. Simply paperclip the receipts to the form….Perfect!

Reply by Nick Nutter:
Great, thanks for the comment.

Submitted by John Edwards on 15 Oct 2021
My TIE was ready to collect after 6th October. I havent made an appointment yet to collect it. I am planning to travel abroad shortly. Does anyone know if there is a specific deadline for collecting my TIE or can I collect it next year? Thanks.

Reply by Nick Nutter:
You would have been given a date for collecting your card after your initial appointment. You need to log back into the SEDE site and make another appointment to pick up you card.

Submitted by Ged Harrison on 29 Sep 2021
Thank you so much for this great information. We are planning to change our A4 certificate for the TIE card but we will be away from Spain for a few months and therefore not able to collect the cards in person. Do you (or anyone else) know if it's possible for us to designate someone else to collect it for us?

Reply by Nick Nutter:
I do not think that is possible because when the card is picked up, the fingerprint on the card has to match up with the recipients fingerprint.

Submitted by Richard Standen on 29 Sep 2021
Hi This is amazing information and thanks a million for the process breakdown

Reply by Nick Nutter:
Glad it helped

Submitted by Greg P on 25 Sep 2021
Hi this is very useful thank you. Our son has just arrived in Sevilla on an Erasmus student exchange and has been told by Spanish consulate he must apply for a TIE within one month of arrival. He was given a three month student visa for a 10 month stay. After much frustration we’ve just negotiated the Padrón process and await the certificate. My reading of your article is he will have to do the Ex20 application process first and then once he gets the permission / positive resolución from that he’ll request expedite and then have to do the ex23 and 790 to actually get the TIE?

Reply by Nick Nutter:
Hi Greg, Not sure about the preliminary steps, ie prior to application for Ex23. in this case. The article was written primarily for those Brits that were resident before 1/12/2020 who now want to apply for the TIE. I do know that Spanish bureaucracy is a nightmare at times.

Submitted by Dee Cox on 17 Sep 2021
My 12 year old daughter and I are both British Citizens living in Spain and we exchanged our Spanish green credit card size paper residents 'cards' on 9 June 2021 for new TIE cards. My daughter's old temporary Resident's card was issued on 13 February 2018 and would have expired in 2023, but her new (temporary) TIE card was issued with an expiry date of 9 June 2026 (5 years from date of issue). If she had not renewed her old paper card she would have been able to apply for a permanent card on 13 February 2023, but the new card has an expiry date of 9 June 2026. What should we do about this. Her old document was surrendered when she was issued with her new card.

Reply by Nick Nutter:
Hi Dee, As far as I can tell there is nothing you can do. Your daughter's TIE card will become 'Permanente' when she renews it in 2026. At the time of issue of the TIE she did not have the requisite 5 years residence.

Submitted by Carol Johnston on 16 Sep 2021
This website is excellent and I am now waiting to collect my TIE. I am trying to obtain a TIE for my husband who has lost his green A4 NIE certificate. He has been to the police station to report it lost and a denuncia. I am now trying to arrange an appointment to collect the replacement certificate (so that I can then arrange a TIE!) but there does not seem to be an appointment "type" for this. Do you have any idea

Reply by Nick Nutter:
Hi Carol, Application for a new/replacement Certificate of Residence Registration is no longer on the list because the green certificate is no longer issued. The only thing I can suggest is that your husband go to the police station that issued the certificate in the first place, which is what he would have had to do prior to the electronic system and see is they will issue him with a replacement or at least a certificate saying he had one or is entitled to one.

Submitted by Susi Hunt on 14 Sep 2021
I've been a resident for over 20 years and I have the green A4 document, which I have had for over 10 years, I haven't applied for the Tie because I thought the green document was valid, however my bank are about to freeze my account because I have not got the neTIE do you think I will have any problem with obtaining a new Tie? Thank you

Reply by Nick Nutter:
You should not have any problems at all.

Submitted by Elliott Evans on 12 Sep 2021
Can you tell me where in your detailed process I would start if I have taken the NLV route please? I have completed stage 1 in the UK and am now in Spain.

Reply by Nick Nutter:
You have to start at the beginning, except you apply for a new TIE card instead of a replacement. Your first TIE will only be valid for 2 years. It is best to get professional advice when applying for the non lucrative visa. It's all still a bit new.

Submitted by Cherry Harris on 10 Sep 2021
Excellent guide. Thank you very much, made the whole process really straightforward.

Submitted by Alan Temperton on 10 Sep 2021
Hello, do we use the same procedure to change the incorrect wording on the TIE’s given because they did not have the correct cards - “residence card of a family member of a union citizen’

Reply by Nick Nutter:
Hi Alan, I do not know. Perhaps you should contact the Citizens Advice Bureaux, they have legal people they can get advice from.

Submitted by Vincent Malcolm Wright on 10 Sep 2021
Excellent guide, simple easily followed instructions which I've printed ready to complete my forms later today or tomorrow. We live in Alicante and accept there may well be differences but this is, by far, the most useful 'do it yourself tool'. Thank you.

Reply by Nick Nutter:
Thank you Vincent, I hope it all works for you

Submitted by Mark on 7 Sep 2021
Thanks for info, really helpful, in regards the ex23 form, do you take one filled in and a blank copy? Also, in section 4, do you tick both "Renovacion de Tarjeta", and "residencia con certificado de registro de ciudadano de la union" if you have green residencia card? Thanks.

Reply by Nick Nutter:
Hi Mark, The copy ex23 should be a photocopy or scan of your completed form and just tick the box alongside 'residencia con certificado de registro de ciudadano de la union'.

Submitted by Ray Perkins on 30 Aug 2021
My wife and I bothy need a TIE. Do we get one appointment or two? Obviously we want to go together

Reply by Nick Nutter:
Hi Ray, You need two appointments, one per person. When we did ours we applied one after the other and had appointments 10 minutes apart on the same day - no problem.

Submitted by Kate Geddes on 24 Aug 2021
great article thanks... wish we had seen it before we did our TIE / Residency ! we have our letter from the first TIE visit at Malaga Police station but there is no date on it as to when the cards will be available. I believe you can check online via the LOTE number but I cant seem to find the link for it ...any advice ? thanks again

Reply by Nick Nutter:
Hi, You seem to be right. I cannot see on the Sede website (Malaga province) where you would go to check or change an appointment. The only thing I can suggest is that you take your letter and visit the police station. Wait at least six weeks though.

Submitted by Faisal on 9 Aug 2021
Thanks for your kind details and instructions. I have applied for TIE card and I have received positive resolution. Then I have submitted all the required documents and I did the fingerprints. This is in CNP Fuengirola, on 06/08/21. The officer in the station asked me to come after three weeks to collect the TIE card but COLLECTION MUST BE by appointment. I have followed your link to make the appointment however I always get this message:En este momento no hay citas disponibles. En breve, la Oficina pondrá a su disposición nuevas citas. I have been trying this many times. Please could you advise me on what to do. Many thanks.

Reply by Nick Nutter:
Hi Faisal, When you finished your first appointment you should have been given a piece of paper with the time and date of your appointment to pick up your TIE. When you try to make an appointment to pick up your card, the message is telling you there are no appointments available at the moment, please try again later. The early hours of the morning are the best times to try.

Submitted by kahtan almasrani on 3 Aug 2021
thank you so much for your information it helped alot, Do i need to rent an apartment or is it enought if i rent a postal address?

Reply by Nick Nutter:
As far as as we know you need a permanent address so that you appear on the padron. To get on the padron you need to produce proof of physical address.

Submitted by Barry Taylor on 30 Jun 2021
Hi, I attended Marbella yesterday for my application which went well. However, they kept my green card! I assume that I will still be able to collect my TIE when it is due?

Reply by Nick Nutter:
Hi Barry, You should be OK, the only paperwork checked when we collected our cards was the appointment slip.

Submitted by Frank Goodall on 25 Jun 2021
Filling out the necessary forms is complete but when attempting to make the appointment (25/6/2021) the message appears that no appointments are available at this time. This is in the Alicante province. (Benidorm, Denia etc.). If you have any advice, it would be appreciated. Thank you very much.

Reply by Nick Nutter:
Hi Frank, In Andalucia, if there were no appointments, we had to make another application. Early Sunday mornings seemed to be the best time to do this.

Submitted by Sharon Miriam Reynolds on 25 Jun 2021
Just for info. Although I am a pensioner and have a medical card and the old style A4 paper, I had to have an S1 as well to take with me.

Submitted by Barry on 23 Jun 2021
Hi, just a quick one. Where it looks for the names of your parents is that first and second name or first name only?

Reply by Nick Nutter:
Hi Barry, I entered their full names and had the form accepted so I am not sure what would have happened if I only entered first names.

Submitted by Karen Oliver on 23 Jun 2021
Hi We are in the process of changing to TIE however my son has lost his A4 green paper what do we do

Reply by Nick Nutter:
Hi Karen, A few people have had that problem. The best I can do is give you this link to the Citizens Advice Bureaux (Spain) who have people that can help you.

Submitted by Pete armstrong on 21 Jun 2021
We live in the Campo so have no address other than a P.O. box No, or polygono No, and parcel of land No, what do I put on the form please ?

Reply by Nick Nutter:
Hi Pete, I would enter the details as shown on your impadronamiento.

Submitted by Harry Epsom on 10 Jun 2021
If you did not wear glasses on your passport photo then do not wear them on you TIE photo (or vice versa). If you do your TIE photo may or will not be accepted. My wife’s was rejected in the Alicante offices for that reason. You also have to enter your NIE number in the the machine to get your ticket, not the CODE from your appointment details.

Reply by Nick Nutter:
Thanks for the comment Harry. Good point about the spectacles. As regards CODE v NIE. I can only say what happens in Andalucia. Having said that, greetings to sunny Alicante.

Submitted by Lisa on 6 Jun 2021
Thank you for this article, it has been so helpful during our application process. I have two young children so we also required a copy of their birth certificate, a copy of the parents passport and a copy of the libro de familia. We were at Estepona police station. Thank you again!!

Reply by Nick Nutter:
Hi Lisa, Thanks for the comment and the information about the extra requirements if you have children. Most useful.

Submitted by Anita Dawson on 2 Jun 2021
What a great body of work. Well done.. just what is needed for those who are having problems with all this.

Reply by Nick Nutter:
Thanks Anita, we try.

Submitted by RICHARD READ on 29 May 2021
Thanks found the info most helpful

Submitted by Jenny Hammonds on 29 May 2021
You’ve explained the process really well. I’ve shared this information with friends who’ve yet to change their paper certificates for the TIE. Thank you for taking the time to write this.

Reply by Nick Nutter:
Thanks Jenny, pleased it all worked.

Submitted by Peg Aston on 28 May 2021
Thank you for explaining in a simple and straightforward manner

Reply by Nick Nutter:
No problem, Good luck with he application.

Submitted by CHRISTINE Leek on 24 May 2021
I need to cancel an appointment can you tell me hiw

Reply by Nick Nutter:
Hi Christine. Cancelling initial appointment. You need to go to your email that confirmed the appointment and find the paragraph headed ' Si desea anular su cita'. Follow the instructions there. To cancel the second appointment (picking up the TIE). You will have been given a sheet of paper after your first appointment with details of time and date of second appointment thereon. On that form you will find instructions on how to cancel or reschedule the second appointment.

Submitted by Diane Perkins on 16 May 2021
Can you please clarify, on application form EX-23 - Section 4.1 Tipo de Documento - do I select the first option "Tarjeta Inicial" or the second option "Renovacion de Tarjeta". Thank you.

Reply by Nick Nutter:
Hi Diane. The question is asking whether you are resident or not, not whether you have a TIE card or not. If this is your first application for residencia then tick 'Tarjeta Inicial', if you are already resident tick 'Renovacion de Tarjeta'.

Submitted by nick exton on 14 May 2021
Awsome article! I did mine today in Marbella - follwed everything and worked out 100% however, they kept the small green resi card and said all the copies are not necessary, she also glanced at the original Padron and gave it back. I just thought that what if I need to travel.....? .... no longer have the green card....! Thanks for the effort.

Reply by Nick Nutter:
Hi Nick, Yes, each centre is different. Some want copies and then insist on making their own, best to be on the safe side. Almeria allowed us to keep the long expired residencia card, all depends on what mood they are in.

Submitted by Bella Williams on 12 May 2021
Hi, many thanks for the step by step instructions. Just one question. Can I pay the 12 euros at the bank ATM using the bar code on the form?

Reply by Nick Nutter:
We couldn't because the bank has to physically stamp the 790-12 form.

Submitted by Alison on 8 May 2021
Thank you very much for these helpful steps. Doing it ourselves has saved us €125.

Submitted by Derek John Robinson on 26 Apr 2021
I saw that you say this tax cannot be paid online yet I have just done that via form 790 052. This was after reading the info on SEDE Electronic Office. I already had an digital signature and it said it allows payment for Tramitación de autorizaciones de residencia y otra documentación a ciudadanos extranjeros. The fee is 12€ and is taken straight from your bank account. Hopefully I have read this right and paid the correct tax. Now I just need to get an appointment!!!

Reply by Nick Nutter:
Hi Derek, Thanks for the update. Just for completeness, where are you based? The procedure differs between provinces.

Submitted by jacqueline lesley pitkin on 23 Apr 2021
I found this very straight forward and helpful. The only problem is that I´ve lost my green residencia card although I do have copies of it . Do I have to apply for a new one and then change it to a T.I.E

Reply by Nick Nutter:
Hi Jacqueline, You may have a problem with the copy. The first time your documents are checked is at the appointment so to be turned away and have to go through the process again would be a bit painful. I would try to obtain a replacement green certificate of residencia.

Submitted by karen southall on 9 Apr 2021
Great and very useful information! thank you. I am sorting TIEs for all family members x 4. How do I get an appointment for all 4 of us in one hit? Is that possible? And best way to arrange (online or via telephone?) thanks.

Reply by Nick Nutter:
Hi Karen, Quite a challenge you set yourself there. Julie and I did our applications on line and ended up with appointments 10 minutes apart on the same day, which was fine. There was no provision for 'group bookings'. I am not aware of a telephone option because of the forms that have to be presented at the time of application. If you manage to get everybody on the same day then, the process in Almeria, allows you all to turn up at the same time, queue to enter the building and then obtain an appointment time and desk when you get to the front of the queue.

Submitted by Julie Jacques on 7 Apr 2021
Thanks for this information. Very useful. Our padron certificate is dated June 2020. What do you mean by "in date"?. Do I need to get another one?

Reply by Nick Nutter:
Hi Julie, An impadronamiento certificate is valid for 3 months (very occasionally 6 months), so, yes, you would have to renew yours. It's a simple procedure. You take your expired padron along with your green certificate of residence and passport to the office that issued the original. They should print it there and then.

Submitted by Bianca on 5 Apr 2021
Thanks for your step by step info on the procedure to change the Green Certificate to TIE. Can I ask did your certificate have the words "permanente" on it? Mine does not. It was issued in 2007. Although I believe you are a permanent resident automatically after 5 years, I never updated the certificate as it was not law that you had to, as no expiry date on the certificate. I am concerned the authorities will ask for further evidence I have Vida Laboral Certificates and bills for the last 12 years and would like to be prepared before going to the appointment to change to T.I.E, thanks

Reply by Nick Nutter:
Hi Bianca, Thanks for the comment. Yes, our green certificates of residence were pemanente. We had previously held the Residencia Certificate with photo id, very similar to a TIE. As regards your worry. As far as I know there is no differentiation between a green certificate of residence with an expiry date (at which point you must apply for the TIE) and one without expiry date. Both are still valid and, at the moment there is no requirement for you to exchange them for a TIE. As regards evidence of residence for the past 12 years. There is no need. In fact they might ask why you only have a temporary green residence certificate if you have been here that long. Hope this helps.

Submitted by Janet wilks on 31 Mar 2021
I completed all forms and made an appointment on monday 29th march but have still not received an email confirming the appointment. Do you think that this is not normal and I managed to incomplete the required elements of booking the application

Reply by Nick Nutter:
Hi Janet, After checking the appointment date and time you click Siguente. At that point a code is sent to your mobile phone. You enter that code on the last screen. Unless you do this, no email will be sent. If you have not had an email then you must start the application again.

Submitted by elizabeth on 25 Mar 2021
travelling in motor home spain and Portugal for at least six months ,is this possible now or do we have to get a visa please help

Reply by Nick Nutter:
Hi Elizabeth, I presume from your email address that you are from the Isle of Man. Firstly you intend to travel in two Schengen area countries for over 90 days in one continuous period so you are exceeding your allowed time in the Schengen area. Refer to the Schengen Area visa article. In any case, at the moment, you cannot travel between the countries without a good reason and travel within Spain is restricted to provinces within regions. Next year perhaps.