Recipes from Andalucia
By Nick Nutter
White Bean Mash (vg)
A great warming dish that uses the white haricot beans when in season or use jars of large white beans. This dish is suitable for vegans. It can be served as an accompaniment to other veggie dishes or meat dishes or in small portions as a tapas.
Preparation Time: 5 mins Cooking Time: 20 mins Total Time: 25 mins
Serves: 8 Difficulty: Easy Suitable for: Vegans
1/2 kilo fresh white beans, podded or 1 x 570 gram jar of large white beans, rinsed and drained
- 75-100 ml water
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt + pepper to taste
1. Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and cook the garlic and onion over medium heat for 2-3 minutes until soft.
2. Add the beans, lemon juice, water, and herbs. Bring to the boil and reduce to simmer for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Remove the pan from the heat, and using a hand blender mix well until creamy. If you don’t have a hand blender, you can use a potato masher or transfer to a blender.
4. Serve hot or cold.Note:
For a creamier mash us milk instead of water!